Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Gifts!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! I had a lot of fun. We went to my mom and her husbands house (they live about 1.5 hours away). We were spoiled by my mom (she has the most generous heart) and ate ham and goodies for dinner...yummy!




I received the greatest surprise from my beautiful blog friend Vicki from Nollyposh. She sent me the cutest little gifts! I love them so much!! Thanks Vicki




I have been working on a painting for my mom, but couldn't post any of the progress because she is a frequent reader of my blog. I wanted this to be a total surprise to her.


I used some different techniques for the background (thanks Heather, Becky and Kelly Rae for the inspiration). In my mom's dress is an actual picture of us when I was about 5. My mom's favorite color is black, so I had to incorporate that somehow. I really like the way it came out. I also used white rubons to add some contrast in my dress and at the top. The words in my dress are all of the things my mother has taught or shown me in my life. There is also a title right above our heads that says "Motherhood" but it is very hard to read in the picture. My husband said: "Why does it say Mother-Ho at the top?"--ummmm, no!


My mom was a single parent who worked graveyard shift (I can't imagine how hard that must have been) and she (if I say so myself) did a pretty darn good job. Now that I am a parent, I have so much respect for what she must have gone through raising me by herself. I have a husband who is a great help and I still struggle sometimes (as I'm sure we all do). This painting is a tribute to my mom and our relationship as mother and daughter. She is Truly my best friend and my rock!!! If I can be half the mother to my son as she has been to me, then I will be very happy.


I love you so much mom!!! I'm glad you loved the painting!







13 comments:

Victorian Lady said...

You did a great job Shonna! :) It is always fun to try new techniques! :)
I'm having fun painting an one color and then covering it with another with a dry brush, letting the bottom color show through...pretty fun. :)

Mere

Sandi Keene said...

What awonderfully meaningful gift. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Anonymous said...

Shonna, Thank You for being such a wonderful joy in my life. I see you with Jordan and know that your calling was always to be a Mom. It reminds me so much of us when you were little. You two have that really special bond like you and I share. He loves his Mommy so much.
You have no idea how much that painting touched my heart. I love the fact that I can look up in my living room, see it and smile and think about all the wonderful memories I have of us. I thank God everyday for you. I have truly been blessed. The greatest joy in life is truly "Motherhood"
Thank you sweetheart.
I LOVE YOU!!!
Mom

Sarah said...

I found you!! you do awesome work!! say hi to your mom. I know john misses you guys!!!

Kristin Long said...

You do fantastic artwork!!! I'm so impressed! I'll be following your blog from now on!!!

Kim said...

Love the artwork. I know your mom will cherish it forever! So sweet! I love the personal stuff!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am hoping to get some great nominees. I am putting flyers out in the community and telling all I know. I wish I knew someone from our local TV station, that would be an awesome way to get the word out. But, I think I'll do fine with what I'm doing. Have a great new year! God Bless!

suzi blu said...

Happy New Year Shonna!

Anonymous said...

I love your painting of you and your mom, and I love her comment. It's true what she says, there is no bond stronger than a mother and a child, and she's lucky to have a daughter like you who realizes it too! My favorite part of the painting is how you included the picture of you and her. FABULOUS! And priceless!!
p.s. I think you are going to be famous. LOL! (If you aren't already :)

nollyposh said...

Hi Shonna X:-)
i'm so glad that you liked your little gift X:-) and your aRt is SO FABULOUS WoW! 2009 looks like it will be a magical time for your artistic heart <3 (Loved the little "Dog House video" tOO Lol!) and that painting for your mum, so ~beautiful~ (She seems as wonderful as you, judging by her lovely comment) i wish you my ~friend~ much *happiness* and ~love~ for 2009 and ~Thankyou~ for being my 'bloggy mate' in 2008 (Ps) i still think of you every night when i take my lovely bookmark from my book and smile at my little house on my bedside table X:-) ~Love~ and (((hugz))) to you and yours my friend XOXOXOXOX

nollyposh said...

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Kristin Long said...

I love your painting for your mother. I might have to do the same thing for mine!

I have tagged you!

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules.
3. Tell 6 things about yourself.
4. Tag 6 other bloggers by linking to them.
5. Go to each person's blog and leave a comment letting them know they've been tagged.

Melissa said...

You and your Mommy are lucky to have each other. I'm sure you know. Fantastical painting!

~Moon Glow~
Melissa

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother, Shonna! Your painting is beautiful and I'd bet that your mom thinks it's a priceless gift:)