Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm Back and Abstract Painting







We had a great time in Seattle. It was nice and cool and the trees are just amazing up there. My little guy did great on his first airplane ride, but was a major pill on the trip. I guess he thought since we were in a new place, that none of the normal rules apply. Poor guy was in the "naughty corner" a lot, but he still had fun. My daughter had fun as well. She got to race dad on a go-cart track and won! We stayed at a really cute house on a lake outside of Seattle (see attached picture). It was a nice change of pace. The only bad part of the trip was when we actually went into Seattle. We totally picked the wrong day to go. They were having a Boeing union meeting near the space needle and we could not find a parking spot for the life of us. So we drove to Pikes Market and walked around there. I was able to find a couple of vintage books, but my husband isn't much for walking around and shopping all day, so we didn't stay long. We did find this cool little African cafe. We were feeling adventurous so we decided to try it. It was really good! I had a chicken curry dish and it came with some collard greens and lentils. It was pretty yummy! Even my little one liked it (give him some rice and he's happy). We are glad to be home now even though it is much more humid and hot here.






I started on a mixed media painting before I left on vacation and just finished it when I came back. I got the idea from the ever so talented artist Jane DesRosier of Gritty Arts Studio. She is doing some tips and techniques videos and she posted one last week showing how to create depth using heavy gel medium. I decided to give it a shot, but I used some of the foam stamps in my stash. I am not sure if I like it or not. It is definitely a different type of painting for me. Let me know what you think about it.

6 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Glad you are back. Hope your vacation was very relaxing and inspirational.

Blaiz said...

I'm so used to seeing your bright lovely pieces that this was kind of a shock. I like it, though. It's always fun to try something new.

nollyposh said...

The Lake house pic oh ... sighhhhh... Lovely X:-) and your painting... hmmmm "Very Interesting" (using Maxwell Smart voice)... I think l might need the 'cone of silence' for that one! Just kidding... looks coool X:-)

Unknown said...

Oh, Nolly...you are just too funny! I'm really not liking it at all, in fact it is sitting in a drawer right now...out of my sight!

Anonymous said...

How fun to see your texture painting!

Vickie said...

I am also enjoying Jane's new videos. I haven't had time to try all of the new techniques yet. I've bought the gel and the wax and need to get to work trying them out. Your painting turned out fine for a first attempt at a new medium. Don't give up. Try again.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Seattle. I went there when I was four years old for the World's Fair. We went to the Space Needle which was brand new for the fair. I remember my Dad holding me up and saying, "Look at the people. They are as little as ants." I want to go there again some day.